Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Avventura Vi Aspetta

Reading my first blog post, I can say without hesitation that my experience here in Italy has definitely changed into one that I have grown to love and appreciate. Unlike the initial stage of my study abroad experience, I have now adjusted to living in this urban rush of a city. The things that used to give me anxiety- the narrow streets, the crowded supermarkets, the bustling train stations- I have now become accustomed to. I am able to go about my travels with much more ease and confidence in my directionality, which is a huge step for me, seeing as how often I got lost even with a map in my hands.
Displaying DSC_0114.JPG
Streets of Rome, Italy
During the fall break, I was lucky enough to travel with my mom who came to visit me in Italy for the week. We traveled to Rome, Venice, and back to Florence where I got to show her around the city as if I was a true Florentine. To be honest, travelling around three cities in a week’s worth of time was pretty exhausting and quite a hectic journey. After a couple days of nonstop rigorous touring, we knew that it was nearly impossible to get to every famous landmark of each city; so instead, we decided to tour at our own pace without a set plan or destination. Travelling became so much more spontaneous as we took our time to stroll along narrow alleyways and have the leisure to enjoy a glass of wine outside while watching the people of the city live their lives with haste. Getting lost was no longer a fear but an excursion that often led to unexpected discoveries.

Displaying DSC_0193.JPG
The Vatican, Rome, Italy
Displaying IMG_7984.JPG
Burano Island in Venice, Italy
Displaying DSC_0321.JPG
Gondola Rides in Venice!
As my time here in Florence draws closer to the end, I feel impatient to take in as much as I can while I am here in the present moment. There is so much to see and so many places to venture to with not enough time to check off everything on the bucket list. While I am here though, I plan to expose myself to new things as much as I can. This includes trying new foods, meeting new people from different parts of the world, and of course looking at as much art as I possibly can in the time that I have left of this journey abroad.

Displaying photo 4.JPG

Displaying photo 3.JPGDisplaying photo 2.JPG
Some pages from my sketchbook
Displaying photo 1.JPG
One piece from my "Something New" series
Displaying DSC_0026.JPG
Adventures in Siena

-Soyoung Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment