Friday, October 28, 2011

Oh, Art History...

Ciao to our blog followers! Fortunately for all of you folk it is fall break at Palazzo Rucellai.  This means I have been given the opportunity to tour Italy with my sister.  This also means that you can all sit tight and listen to my explanation of why art history helps here in Florence.  

Let us begin with Rome.  As I was concentrating on navigating the city (without a GPS or cab aka using a map) I lead my sister and I to some of the top locations in the city.  The Pantheon, The Sistine Chapel, The Vatican and more.  This is not what struck me most with my art history education however, The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is what refocused my attention:






I was so focused on finding this apparent "touristy square" that when I got to the location I was shocked to find Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers.  My art history survey class was immediately brought back into view, the navigating ended and the viewing of a monument I was educated on miles away and years ago began.  It is truly remarkable to be in a situation like this and art history becomes a new form of education entirely.

To view more abroad adventures please visit my blog!!!!!! Kelseyseastheworld!

No comments:

Post a Comment