Wednesday, October 30, 2013

It's Already Halfway Over

            According to everyone on the home front I am already halfway through my time abroad although it doesn't feel like it. I feel like I’m stuck in some sort of strange time warp.  At some points it seems as if I have been here for a week and other times it seems as if I have been here for years.  I feel that I will wake up on December 14th and this will all have been a dream.  Time feels like it has frozen back home but I know things will be different when I return.  I am in some sort of limbo…but what a fantastic limbo this is. 
            I have seen some of the most beautiful things, ate some of the most fantastic food, and met some of the most amazing people during my time in Florence.  All I want is more. I want to see more, to do more. After returning from my ten day break and barely skimming the surface on all the beauty that the world has to offer all I want is more. I wish there was a way I could wander forever; to get lost in the world but be okay with it.  I just want to travel the world and draw what I see.  I feel as if there is not enough time to see all there is to see and experience all there is to experience.  That’s just a fact of life though.  Everything seems too short and there is never enough time in a day. I just know this adventure will pass in the blink of an eye.
            Although my time here in Florence has been fantastic thus far not all of it has been a walk in the park and a spectacular adventure.  I have gotten used to the fact that I cannot understand most things people are saying or doing around me.   I have become somewhat comfortable with uncertainty even though I still get stressed with the unknown. I miss the little things at home; a simple chat with my Dad, playing video games with my brother, and getting into random shenanigans with my friends.  It’s strange that although I miss these things I don’t find myself getting homesick.  This whole experience confuses me because I am acting differently than how I would have expected.  I would have expected to be more homesick, but I would rather have my family come and stay with me here if that was at all possible. I still get half way upset when exciting things are happening back home.  Why should I be upset though?  I’m on the adventure of a lifetime, right? 
            I sit here now writing this unsure of how I will feel by the time I need to return to the States. I know I will be overjoyed to see my friends, family, boyfriend, and dogs (can’t forget the puppies).  I don’t know if I will feel lost though.  I am afraid that going home things will be different and I will have to re-adapt to a place that I should feel most comfortable.  Hopefully everything will be as it was, if not better.  One thing I do know though and I realized this as soon as I landed in Florence in August; my time here will be one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  




Street Artist in Piazza della Repubblica, Florence, Italy


The Dome of the Reichstag, Berlin, Germany


View of Paris from The Arc de Triomphe, Paris, France


The Louvre, Paris, France 


Sainte Chapelle, Paris, France


Sainte Chapelle, Paris, France


Park Guell, Barcelona, Spain




No comments:

Post a Comment