Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Fan Letter to Pesto


I cannot believe it has been five weeks since I left JFK airport to go to Florence. The time is racing by and I am trying to grasp every last second. From walking to class, or sitting on the steps of Santa Croce, I want to absorb all Florence has to offer. The opportunity to be here is still mind blowing.  It is the greatest experience I could have ever asks for and I am thankful for everyday I have here.

Although I am not in my home state of New York, Florence sure does make up for it. New York City in the fall is one of my favorite places to go. It’s hard not being there during the beautiful weather. Although there is not a Starbucks on every street to find a pumpkin spice latte on, I love the cappuccino here.  While I do miss my friends, family and my best friend (my dog Hank), I think Florence is truly wonderful.

I am currently enrolled in the International Students Institute in Florence, Italy. I enjoy taking class field trips around the historical city. We have sketched in the Pitti Palace, toured cathedrals, and walked around the central market. Having class around the city has made me more aware of my surroundings. I have learned so much about the city during my classes.

One thing I have had hard time learning is  languages. Throughout middle school and high school I was required to take Spanish. You can say speaking Spanish is not my life calling.  Rolling my rs and conjugations never stuck with me. Learning Italian has been similar to my Spanish experience. The constant use of vowels is something im starting to learn. I try to practice my Italian when I am ordering a Panini. When I try to speak, the person behind the counter ends up speaking in English. My language barrier is something I will have to work on as the weeks roll by.

My number one favorite thing about this city is the wonderful selection of food. Although sometimes I do miss sushi, the food is incredible here. I have never had so many choices of pasta in my life. From pear ravioli to the truffle sauce spaghetti, I have a hard time choosing. I usually end up ordering everything with pesto. If I am cooking in the apartment, my meal will consist of spoon full of pesto. I always loved pesto at home although my love has turned into an obsession. I crave it all the time!

Overall the experience of being here is more than I could have ever dreamed of. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will never forget. I look forward to my weeks to come.  Hopefully I will be eating more pesto and learning the Italian language! 








No comments:

Post a Comment