Sunday, November 8, 2015

Ciao!!

Ciao!  I can’t believe we have been in Florence for over two months. It’s funny how having a routine can cause time to fly by so quickly. Two months gave me enough time to learn the ropes, and try and blend in better than I was my first couple of weeks here. I know the dos and the don’ts of grocery shopping, where the best (and cheapest) cappuccinos can be found, and I have a favorite route to class.  Having my parents visit this past week was such an unexpected rewarding experience, as I was able to let someone in on my inside knowledge of the city.

As my parents ooohed and ahhed their way through the trip, I realized how easy it is to fall in love with this place, and why it attracts so many tourists. Florence is so aesthetically pleasing; my dad even said that every street looks like it is a part of a movie set. Living here for two plus months has allowed me to appreciate the more subtle treasures of Florence. I love the dog culture, and the way people are always meeting for a coffee or a pastry. There is just a different appreciation for time in Florentines than there are in many Americans.  To sit and eat and enjoy a coffee or a snack or meet with friends in a piazza is something that isn’t often seen in America, and I love it.

There’s so much to take in, still, and I don’t know if I could ever become immune to this city. I feel like its just constant sensory overload, and it really is hard to capture this city in a sketch or two. But, I will try! Here are a couple of sketches, and some of my favorite pictures I’ve taken of Florence.

The dog culture here is the best


What are these little truck things? I see them everywhere, I love them.

I mean c'mon, look at that view!

- Louise Astorino

1 comment: