Sunday, December 6, 2015

And now, the end is near...

DIANA ABOUCHACRA writing from Madeline Nicholson's account



I have to say my experience in Florence has been incredibly beautiful and memorable, and the experience will stay with me for the rest of my life. It was one of those times in life where I found out so much about myself, about life, and about people. From the food to the culture to the art and architecture, I have never experienced so much before. I've got to meet and know so many beautiful and interesting people; people that I would have never approached back home, and would have missed out on some great friendships.


I cannot pinpoint my most memorable experience here in Florence, but I will try to narrow it down to the types of nights that were most memorable for me, where words cannot describe how it feels, but I will try to do my best. Some nights, a few friends from the program and I would get gelato (ice cream) and go sit at the Piazza della Signoria. Being able to sit next to the breathtaking art and not pass by it hurriedly as if we were a tourists, was just incredible in itself;  not being rushed in order to truly experience the place in which you are in. There were always street musicians playing their melodies at night, and that combination with the art, I feel as if those nights are engraved in my mind forever. Sitting in a spectacular piazza with so much art, eating the incredibly tasty gelato, hearing the beautiful music, and being with friends - those nights were the most memorable for me.
For future Florentine people:


Don't take advantage of where you are if you choose to study here in Florence. It is truly an experience in which you should enjoy to the full extent. I see so many people, after classes are over, who just go straight to their rooms and watch shows or just lay in bed so many days. What I say to myself, is that I have so many days to be lazy at home, I should just go and walk around and sit and sketch somewhere instead of staying inside and wasting the time I would have had in experiencing the different piazzas, artwork, food, and people. And even if you cannot travel outside of Florence, or even Italy, you're still in Florence!! You have already traveled to this amazing, breathtaking city; don't feel ashamed if the rest of your friends are going and you are not, because Florence is well worth a city to be explored inside and out.


somewhere lost in Venice...


making cupcakes - Soyoung


reflections in Venice


boat tour in Venice


the quatro in Sienna
(couldn't rotate the image)




Venice


Jasmine Jones


 a selection from "Something New":



Lucca



rented bikes in Lucca

painting of Santa Croce



sketch of the graveyard of the San Miniato Church, Florence

Thank you Florence, and those who made it possible.
It was truly a journey that sent me deeper on the pathway to finding myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment